[GE users] node oversubscription despite slots=8

gmareels guy.mareels at gmail.com
Mon May 17 09:49:57 BST 2010

Dear community,

We have 10 machines (nodes) with each 8 cores. I have set up each execution host with "complex_values slots=8".
In addition, we have two queues (long.q and short.q) which differ in default priority and the time within which the job is to be completed). These two queues all have access to the 10 machines.

So to prevent oversubscription of the machines, I set up the slots variable.

When I submit a job of 8 cores to a single machine in the short queue(short at node001), and then afterwards submit another job of 8 cores to the same machine in the lonq.q, the latter jobs is correctly pending.

However, when we submit a 4 core job to short at node001, and then submit a 8 core job in the long.q to the same machine (long at node001), then the latter job is allowed to progress. It should not be allowed to run as there are already 4 cores occupied!

"qstat -F" shows for long at node001

        hc:slots=-4

What is going wrong? How can I solve this?

Many thanks,
Guy