[GE users] Lockfiles and not doing the process on the same file.

mnuzaihan muhammad at asfasystems.com
Mon May 17 15:13:39 BST 2010

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, now i had realised on the race condition issue when implementing a lock file.

The script i modified creates a lockfile on the NFS, shared by the cluster.

I've did something like (if output file [resulting encoded file] exists or lockfile exists), it skips the file and then do a loop to do other files.

So the setting that i did involves putting the directory path of where it searches for the raw files to encode and then executes the process.

In fact, the original script was intended to be done on a single local machine but i added the lockfile stuff in the "if ( ! -e encoded_file || ! -e lockfile ) then encodes, else skip. But executing like you had mentioned, causes a race condition of machines in the cluster to check on the lock file which my idea doesn't work well.

I'm sure i had about some movie houses had used gridengine but on how they did it, i'm not really sure. But if someone on this list had done it and it would be nice to share their experiences on this topic.

But i know this might not be limited to just encoding files though.

Thanks!,
Muhammad Nuzaihan