[GE users] Machine file and dedicated IB network

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed May 19 12:27:17 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 19.05.2010 um 12:51 schrieb igardais:

> Until now, we ran SGE only over Ethernet.
> All was fine because the same single network was used for SGE and data.
>
> We received a new cluster with InfiniBand and the setup we made is :
> - ethernet network (172.31.0.0/16) for datas and SGE
> - IB network for MPI
>
> IPoIB is setup with a dedicated, non-routed network (192.168.0.0/24).
>

> The machine file generated by the PE contains "ethernet name" of the machines.
> This machine file is use by MPI (IntelMPI) to start the mpi ring.
>
> Shouldn't the hostnames in the machine file be the "infiniband name" (host-ib) ?
>
> I've read the "multiple interface howto" but I not sure it applies to this case.

as SGE is still running across the ethernet, you can just map the hostnames like outlined in the $SGE_ROOT/mpi/startmpi.sh where it's mapped to ATM hostnames. Depending on your applications, it can be necessary to supply -hostname to the startmpi.sh script, so that hostnames are mapped in general (also from the applications point of view).

-- Reuti