[GE dev] Reservation

aeszter Ansgar.Esztermann at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Wed May 19 16:59:50 BST 2010

Hello everyone,

in our installation, reservations (the -R y kind, not advance reservations) work, at best, intermittently. Therefore, I've generated some debug traces and looked through the code (V62u5_TAG). However, there is one point that is not quite clear to me:

in schedd/scheduler/dispatch_jobs(), the list of queues is filtered in several steps. At one point, sge_split_queue_load(..., QU_load_thresholds) removes overloaded queues. As far as I can see, these are never re-added, so everything dependent on the queue list will have to work with the reduced list of non-overloaded queues.
In sge_select_queue/parallel_tag_queues_suitable4job(), this queue list is used to count the number of available slots at some point in the future in order to make a reservation. Thus, it seems that queues overloaded *now* will be ignored when considering a situation in the future.
What am I overlooking here?

Thanks,

A.
--