[GE users] ncbi blast on SGE

murple andreas.kuntzagk at mdc-berlin.de
Tue May 25 09:58:17 BST 2010

If you want to boost blast performance by parallelization across nodes
you should install mpiblast (http://www.mpiblast.org/).
Setting it up requires installation of the openMPI library and
integration of it into SGE.
SGE does not make your programs running parallel by some kind of magic.
And the vanilla-NCBI-blast is not cable of running parallel across
multiple nodes (don't know if it can do multi-core)

So in your tests SGE was doing what it is supposed to do - distribute
your jobs to empty nodes/slots. Bummer is, each of these jobs was the
same blast run as the others - so no speedup.

So if you just want to run blast across multiple nodes as the only user
and the only jobs you only need to install mpiblast without SGE and do
the management of starting the jobs manual.
If you will run it in a multiple user scenario and/or on many more
nodes, you should consider SGE with openMPI integration.

regards, Andreas