logrotate configuration (was: [GE users] :/opt/sge/default/spool/qmaster file was 48GB)

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue May 25 17:01:31 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 24.05.2010 um 18:45 schrieb fx:

> I wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, here's my /etc/logrotate.d/sge for use with
>> logrotate(8) in SGE_CELL `lv3'.  It's probably no better than
>> logchecker.sh, but avoids adding that if you're already running
>> logrotate.
>
> but the damn list software appears to have trashed the MIME parts
> (thanks to Bill Hoover for telling me).  Here it is plainly, and with a
> better subject for the sake of archives.

the idea behind the original logchecker.sh script is, that it will detect the locations of all the files automatically. Could you supply a script, which will create such a file on-the-fly? This script could then be called by sgeexecd / sgemaster during startup of SGE (this is run by root) and create the necessary files in /etc/logrotate.d (or create a link therein to the real file which is in $SGE_SPOOL/sge/logrotate. i.e. I suggest to use a subdirectory for all nodes configuration [because the location my vary between systems] logroatte.qmaster, logrotate.node01 and so on. Then the links would only be necessary to be installed there during the installation of SGE, and all further editing will only be done in SGE's own spool directory, where it writes something anyway.)

When it could be negotiated with the SGE team, it would also be possible to use entries in `qconf -mconf` to adjust the settings of the generated script (SGE's configuration file will just record anything). I would be a nice feature to have this built into SGE out-of-the-box in the end.

-- Reuti