[GE users] [slightly OT] disallow node login

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue May 25 17:08:55 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 25.05.2010 um 17:39 schrieb fx:

> reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> writes:
>
>> my usual approach is to completely forbid logging into the nodes with
>> a plain ssh/rsh. Instead all users are forced to use a special
>> interactive queue with h_cpu=60 by qrsh.
>
> Unfortunately it's incompatible with exclusive scheduling, as we have.

agreed. If there is only one "normal" queue per system, the exclusive complex could also be bound to the queue instead of the host as a workaround though. If there is more than one normal queue, an unusual RQS could help:

   limit        queues all.q,extra.q hosts {*} to exclusive=TRUE

and leave the interactive login.q out there (seems working at the first glance, although I fear it will be judged as a hack).

> Presumably even low-cpu time sessions could introduce significant jitter
> for someone else's MPI jobs too.

Also agreed, but when you allow ssh login to nodes where the user has something running, it could also introduce this "jitter" to other users' jobs. (I forgot to mention, that this special qrsh-queue has a nice value of 19).

-- Reuti