[GE users] h_vmem and mmap

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue May 25 18:59:28 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 24.05.2010 um 16:31 schrieb fx:

> murple <andreas.kuntzagk at mdc-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just made h_vmem consumable to manage memory usage.
>> Now one user askes how that's going to work out with his huge jobs using
>> mmap calls.
>>
>> He runs many different jobs in parallel (on one node) which access the
>> same big file (20G) with mmap calls.
>> So the used/needed virtual memory for EACH job would look like 20G
>> meaning he can not run as many jobs in parallel as possible if the
>> "real" memory used would be taken into account.
>
> I suspect you want a separate queue for such jobs/users that you know
> are well-behaved, or maybe a resource quota.  I've been expecting to hit
> this at some stage, but perhaps that's over-optimistic about how
> sensibly applications are written.

there was the RFE to have a new type of consumable: HOSTONCE - this will be subtracted once per host, even when it's used by different jobs. This could also cover this case.

What about using an AR? During AR submisson, you request one time 20G (divided by slots) and a PE like SMP with the necessary number of slots for your serial jobs. For all the serial jobs which you submit into this AR, you don't request the memory again.

-- Reuti