[GE users] SGE Loading

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Thu May 27 11:13:09 BST 2010

Behavior as you describe is unusual enough to imply that the previous
admin has made some configuration changes ( I think ).

By default the SGE scheduler will send your job to the "least busy"
system among the entire set of nodes that are able to satisfy all of the
job requirements. On clusters with identical hardware you would
generally see the job dispersal/scattering that you are seeking.

There are a few things that could be happening:

- You have nodes that are in unusual states and thus are not really able
to accept work

- someone has altered the load_adjust_threshold to be too low

- someone has swiched from load based queue instance sorting to "seqno"

If you posted the output of these commands the list might be able to
make concrete suggestions:

(1) show the current state of your cluster via "qstat -f"

(2) dump the qmaster config via "qconf -sconf"

(3) show the scheduler config via "qconf -ssconf"

OOPS - forgot to ask a real question. Are these parallel jobs? If they
are parallel jobs and someone has configured the PE with an allocation
rule of $fill_up than you would see the job "packing" that you describe.
With parallel jobs you have a bit more control within the PE object as
to how jobs are scattered across machines.

-Chris