[GE users] SGE Loading

sli1que sli1que at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 12:17:16 BST 2010

Thanks I saw that was already set.....

-Sli1que

From:        reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>
To:        users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Date:        05/27/2010 04:14 AM
Subject:        Re: [GE users] SGE Loading
________________________________

Hi,

Am 27.05.2010 um 12:13 schrieb craffi:

> Behavior as you describe is unusual enough to imply that the previous
> admin has made some configuration changes ( I think ).
>
> By default the SGE scheduler will send your job to the "least busy"
> system among the entire set of nodes that are able to satisfy all of the
> job requirements. On clusters with identical hardware you would
> generally see the job dispersal/scattering that you are seeking.
>
> There are a few things that could be happening:
>
> - You have nodes that are in unusual states and thus are not really able
> to accept work
>
> - someone has altered the load_adjust_threshold to be too low
>
> - someone has swiched from load based queue instance sorting to "seqno"
>

> If you posted the output of these commands the list might be able to
> make concrete suggestions:
>
> (1) show the current state of your cluster via "qstat -f"
>
> (2) dump the qmaster config via "qconf -sconf"
>
> (3) show the scheduler config via "qconf -ssconf"
>

> OOPS - forgot to ask a real question. Are these parallel jobs? If they
> are parallel jobs and someone has configured the PE with an allocation
> rule of $fill_up than you would see the job "packing" that you describe.
> With parallel jobs you have a bit more control within the PE object as
> to how jobs are scattered across machines.

one additional thing is, that all are scheduled in the same time I assume. To change under these circumstances the flooding of one node, you can add:

$ qconf -ssconf
job_load_adjustments              np_load_avg=1
load_adjustment_decay_time        0:7:30

or alike, which will put some artificial load on the machine (from the view of the scheduler only) and move to the next node during job dispatching earlier.

-- Reuti