[GE users] SGE failed to compile: undefined reference to sge_gdi2_send_any_request

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Nov 1 09:35:47 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 29.10.2010 um 21:48 schrieb jdm64:

>> Exactly, at the end of ./install_qmaster it only complains that it can't start the qmaster (I also tried by hand afterwards). But as said, absolutely no traces what's causing this (at least: I can't spot them).
>
> I was finally able to install it by making the change in util/arch, removing the dir /lib64 and also removing all lib32* packages.
>
> The installation completed without errors, and was able to load qmaster, but I couldn't load the scheduler (forgot the name). The problem was that binary was nowhere to be found!
>

>>> 1) 3rdparty/sge_depend/{parse.c,def.h,main.c} all had a getline function that was conflicting with the systems getline. Fixed by renaming to getline2
>>
>> This was never necessary for me in the past. What did happen when you don't change it?
>
> If I don't change it, I get a compiler error stating a re-declaration of getline with different arguments, I think.

is there any default library linked in unconditionally? I don't face this on openSUSE and never heard of it before.

>> I'm unsure, whether it's worth to port SGE to a new distribution, as for now the follow up versions are closed source. For now I wonder anyway, what's so special with ArchLinux to create these hassle. As the "install" is also not working in the installation procedure (to install the startup scripts by ./install_qmaster), it looks like it's not following Linux Standard Base (LSB) for these scripts.
>
> Yeah the ArchLinux startup scripts are not using sysvinit. But selecting manual startup should work.

"upstart" like Ubuntu? There exists at least some kind of compatibility layer and I had no problems installing it on that platform.

> So, you don't know what I could change in the makefiles to fix the undefined reference errors?

I'm afraid: yes, I don't know. I would like to help you get it running on a new distribution though, but as SGE is no more open source and the changes will never make it to the Oracle version (once Rayson and I looked into the Linux/ppc64 port), maybe we should continue at Open Grid Scheduler fork:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/files/