[GE users] Good starting point for PE

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Nov 1 11:34:48 GMT 2010

Hi,

http://wikis.sun.com/display/gridengine62u5/Managing+Parallel+Environments

> We are using SGE for 3D animation rendering. The job types are mostly serial, they cannot be executed as parallels.

But you wrote, that you would like to reserve 5 cores. So it's a parallel job. Either by forks or threads.

> What is the actual use of PE in SGE, can this feature can be used for the job types we are executing?

- a) reserve more than one core for a job
- and optional b) prepare a hostfile which suits the format that the used parallel library understands

-- Reuti