[GE users] Good starting point for PE

seandavi seandavi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:36:45 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM, llikethat <bharanitn at yahoo.com<mailto:bharanitn at yahoo.com>> wrote:
Hi,

Can you please suggest a good starting point for learning how to create Parallel Environments?

We are using SGE for 3D animation rendering. The job types are mostly serial, they cannot be executed as parallels.

What is the actual use of PE in SGE, can this feature can be used for the job types we are executing?

A parallel environment is typically used for running jobs that use more than 1 slot (parallel jobs).  If your jobs do not use more than 1 core, then it seems unlikely that a PE will be useful.

Is the PE different from what i'm trying to use from SGE or is it the same?

You probably want to look at array jobs.

http://wikis.sun.com/display/gridengine62u2/Submitting+Array+Jobs

Sean