[GE users] can two queue have one node? please help me!

prentice prentice at ias.edu
Fri Nov 5 14:26:07 GMT 2010

seandavi wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:23 AM, wushi8 <wushi8 at qq.com
> <mailto:wushi8 at qq.com>> wrote:
>
>     I create two queues,they have a same node n02.
>
>     n02 have 1 cpu, every queue have 1 slots
>
>     I have two users,user1 and user2
>
>     when user1 and user2 qsub job at one time,n02 have two processes ,It
>     is mean two jobs is using n02 at one time,But n02 only one cpu.
>
>     why? How I config sge?
>

> Look at subordinate queues.  You can make one queue suspend when the
> other queue is full.
>
> Sean

There are a couple of "gotchas" with subordinate queues that may or may
not be an issue in your environment:

1.  When the subordinate queue is suspended, the job(s) in that queue
are paused on the host, but not killed. That means they are still
holding on to the memory (and other resources) allocated to them. If one
 job that requires a lot of memory suspends another memory-intensive
job, that can lead to out-of-memory issues, or other issues.

2. If there are often a lot of jobs in superior queue, the subordinate
jobs may be suspended indefinitely, causing them to never complete, or
at least not complete in a realistic time frame.

--
Prentice