[GE users] sge_shepard uses 100% CPU during qrsh 6.2u6

jeffbeadles jeff_beadles at mentor.com
Mon Nov 8 21:56:32 GMT 2010

> With 6.2u6, each qrsh job causes sge_shepard process on that
> node to consume 100% cpu core, even if the qrsh is for an idle bash
shell.

I can confirm this.  It looks like the same nasty bug that we (and
perhaps others) have found.

A workaround when calling qrsh is to add "-nostdin" to the argument
list.

I think that a patch should be available, if you're on support from
Oracle.

 -Jeff

With 6.2u6, each qrsh job causes sge_shepard process on that node to
consume 100% cpu core, even if the qrsh is for an idle bash shell.

I don't recall the sge_shepard process using 100% CPU core before, and I
don't have a 6.2u5 system anymore.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks.