[GE users] Forcing specification of h_rt in

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Nov 8 23:36:40 GMT 2010

Am 08.11.2010 um 21:10 schrieb prentice:

> reuti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 08.11.2010 um 20:26 schrieb prentice:
>>
>>> I need to force my users to specify h_rt when they submit jobs to
>>> improve scheduling. To do this, I modified my h_rt complex like so:
>>>
>>> #name               shortcut   type        relop   requestable
>>> consumable default  urgency
>>> #------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> h_rt                h_rt       TIME        <=      FORCED      JOB
>>> 0:0:0    0
>>
>> h_rt is not consumable. So the default "consumable no" should do.
>>

> Thanks. That fixed my problem, but leads to another one. According to
> the man page for complex:
>
> <quote>
> requestable
>       The  entry  can be used in a qsub(1) resource request if this
> field is set to ?y? or ?yes?.  If set to ?n? or ?no? this entry cannot
> be used by a user in order to request a queue or a class of queues. If
> the entry  is  set  to  ?forced?  or  ?f?  the attribute has to be
> requested by a job or it is rejected.
> </quote>

The jobs are rejected for the queue or host the complexes are attached to. Whether you have e.g. to request TRUE or FALSE for a boolean complex is a different issue then. But unless you request it, the jobs won't be scheduled to such queue instances.

> I'm seeing different behavior. Jobs that don't request h_rt aren't being
> rejected. They just stay in state 'qw' indefinitely:
>
> $  qsub time_test.sh
>
> (wait a few minutes)
>
> $ qstat -u prentice
> job-ID  prior   name       user         state submit/start at     queue
>                         slots ja-task-ID
> 555450 240.15660 time_test  prentice     qw    11/08/2010 15:03:14
>

> This isn't good. Unsophisticated users will just keep submitting jobs
> not knowing why they are in state "qw", and probably won't bother to
> delete them with qdel. I see my queue filling up with jobs in the "qw"
> state. Is there any way to force to reject the job outright and print
> out an informational message?

Well, h_rt is attached to all queue instances by default.

You can use "-w e" and/or put it in any of SGE's requests file, i.e. $SGE_ROOT/default/common/sge_request or your personal ones `man qsub` near the end.

Or use a JSV to attach a feasible value to the job, unless h_rt is already requested.