[GE users] occasional job failure - can't find user's home directory

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 17:28:41 GMT 2010

jlforrest <jlforrest at berkeley.edu> writes:

> You're right - in your environment there is value
> in running the automounter. But, this is what
> I meant about an "unusual feature" in my initial
> posting. In simpler environments where all the
> user directories come from one file system,
> say "/home", the automounter isn't necessary.

Actually, having the automounted home like that under autofs was a
typical way of operating with Solaris systems even before ZFS (and,
indeed with AMD) with /home possibly assembled from various different
fileservers.  I'm going to be dealing with a ZFS setup shortly, and am
expecting to set the automounting period arbitrary long -- I don't know
if you can actually turn off the umounts with autofs.

--
Dave Love
AKA fx at gnu.org