[GE users] help with loadsensor complexes

sgenedharvey sge at nedharvey.com
Fri Nov 12 12:54:43 GMT 2010

I want to prevent jobs from running on machines, if there isn't enough disk
space in a particular directory.  I wrote a simple loadsensor script, which
works fine.  Each machine now has a property, hl:scratchfree=whatever .
which indicates the amount of free disk space.

Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to use it.  I created the
complex:
scratchfree         scratchfree       INT         <=    YES         YES
0        0

I tried setting various settings, >=, Yes, No, some number for default, set
priority to 1000.  I tried requesting the resource on the qsub prompt .
can't seem to figure out the right way to use the information to prevent job
distribution to machines without enough disk space.

scratchfree is configured as a "reporting variable" in each host.
The loadsensor is set on global, and it is running correctly for each
machine.

For example:
qconf -se dell0307s-02 | grep report
report_variables      scratchfree

qconf -sconf global | grep sens
load_sensor                  /path/to/scratch_loadsensor

I think the problem is the fact that the scratchfree is a reporting
variable, instead of a consumable, or a resource limit.  Should I make it a
load_scaling?  Or a complex_value, or something else?