[GE users] dynamic resource limits

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Nov 14 13:30:00 GMT 2010

Am 11.11.2010 um 10:58 schrieb stellale:

> Are the following examples correct:
> The host has 20GB memory. There are 2 jobs with memory limit of 10GB.
> 1) If a limit is hard then no other job via SGE will start on the host.

How do you request the memory resource, and how did you define the resource?

> 2) If a limit is SOFT then other job may start via SGE in the case that all exec servers are busy.

I'm not sure, whether I understand your question in the correct way: if you request a resource with -soft, SGE will try to honor it for this particular submission for the election of suitable nodes. But if none of the nodes having this resource are free, your job might get scheduled to other machines which don't offer this resource. -soft is only referring to the actual `qsub` and not a feature to give something to other following up jobs.

> One more question: what happen when the job run on exec. server was not submitted via SGE?

The machine will get overloaded, as SGE don't know anything about processes started on an exechost outside of SGE.

-- Reuti