[GE users] configuring user/machine scheduling priority

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Nov 16 11:21:39 GMT 2010

Am 15.11.2010 um 17:44 schrieb jbazik:

> Thanks, that is a real help.
>
>> b) sort by seq_no will work, and configuring the sequence numbers in
>> such a way, that the queues dedicated to the owner are accessed first
>> (see below). By this I mean *all* owner queues should be checked before
>> the common queues on all the machines.
>
> Will ordering by sequence number allow pe jobs to reserve resources?
> So will a pe job pending in a low seq_no queue prevent higher-priority
> jobs in later seq_no queues from running?

No, AFAIK parallel jobs don't look into the sequence number for now, but use the defined allocation_rule. Only for allocation_rule $pe_slots the scheduler configuration will be honored.

> Also, does it make sense to use an rqs to limit the number of jobs
> running to the number of cores on a machine?  Previously we've done
> this just by limiting the number of queue slots.

It's a matter of taste.

- if you have only one queue, you can put it in the "slots" definition therein

- if you have more many queues per exechost, you can put it in the exechost definition by setting a complex_values for slots or an RQS

You can argue that putting it in an RQS is only one rule for all hosts, but on the other hand you can get a long list for `qquota` although it's a fundamental limit and putting it instead the exechost definition will shorten the `qquota` output.