[GE users] consumable license complexes and preemption

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Nov 16 11:47:18 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 16.11.2010 um 00:15 schrieb jtseng_sf:

> Hi Everyone,  I'm thinking of patching 6.2u5 to allow certain
> consumables to be NOT counted by SGE when the job is preempted.
>
> The reason for this is that in the case where licenses are the scarce
> resource, and not machines,  SGE does not free the license consumable
> when the job is suspended.  This makes for some extra "accounting" in
> the flexlm load sensor scripts.

the problem is, that you will free (in your patch: ignore) the used consumables of the subordinated job *after* the new job was dispatched to a node, and as a result of this dispatch the to be preempted job gets suspended and the resource consumption will be ignored finally.

The real solution would be some kind of look-ahead feature to suspend a job (although there is still no job running in the superordinated queue) to get resources back with your patch, and after collecting all the necessary resources for the superordinated job to dispatch it to the node(s).

-- Reuti