[GE users] consumable license complexes and preemption

sgenedharvey sge at nedharvey.com
Wed Nov 17 14:34:40 GMT 2010

> From: reuti [mailto:reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de]
>
> do you also observe this when you submit the job requiring 2 different
> resources with "-R y"? The resource reservation is not limited to slots
for

Oh.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I had no idea that the
concept of a reservation already exists.  It's kind of hard for me to test
it out though.  Does it work the way I think it works?

If there's a hi-pri job waiting in queue...  And it requests resource A and
B...  And there are a million low-pri jobs that only need A...  And there
are another million low-pri jobs that only need B...

If a running job finishes and releases one resource A ... but there is no
resource B available yet ...  Will the hi-pri job grab the one available A,
and keep it across dispatch intervals, thus preventing the low-pri job from
starting which only needs A, even though the hi-pri job still can't run yet?