[GE users] consumable license complexes and preemption

jtseng_sf jtseng at sandforce.com
Wed Nov 17 20:22:41 GMT 2010

Hmm.  I think you are onto something Reuti.

It might be possible to create a preemption reservation loop within the scheduler similar to a "forced" advance reservation.
The loop would need to calculate which job needed to be suspended in order to free consumable resources for the "preemption reservation"

My patch currently as written, would add a "YES_IGNORE_SUSPEND" and "JOB_IGNORE_SUSPEND" options to the consumable complex (in addition to the "NO" "YES" and "JOB").
This allows forward and somelimited backwards compatibility with the spooldb.
The consumable calculations then look to see if the job is YES_IGNORE_SUSPEND and determines if the consumable calculation moves forward.

By filtering for the "YES_IGNORE_SUSPEND" consumable type, we can quickly figure out if suspending any one job (in a subordinate queue) would allow another job (in the master queue) to move forward.

Anyone have any insight into how the advance reservation works?

I'll look over the code and see.

-john