[GE users] PE configuration for 4, 8 and new 12 core nodes

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 18 18:46:42 GMT 2010

Am 18.11.2010 um 17:55 schrieb rems0:

> Hi all,
>
> This is on openSUSE 11.3 64 bit, with GE 6.2u5.
> Up to now we had nodes with 4 and 8 cores.
> We almost only run parallel jobs on 4, 8, 16 or any multiple of 4 slots.
> We have implemented this by defining PEs with a fixed allocation number
> of 4 or 8 slots.

When you want the least amount of nodes and always fill them up, what about getting rid of all the PEs and have only one with $fill_up, and in addition submit all jobs with a complex request of an exclusive boolean complex. Whether this will work, depends on the slots you request and the number of machines you have, as now always complete nodes are necessary to make up the total slot count. This might or might not be what you want.

> Now we got new nodes with 12 cores and have added two new PEs, one with
> an allocation rule of 12, the 2nd one with 8. Jobs using 12 or 8 cores
> run fine now.
>
> But we would also like to start on these new nodes also jobs on 16
> cores, 12 on one node, 4 on a 2nd one.
> Similarly we would like to start also jobs with 12 slots on the older
> nodes that have 8 slots, using 8 on one node and 4 on a 2nd one.
>
> How can this be configured?
>
> If I understand it correctly, adding a new PE with an allocation rule 4
> to each group of nodes won't work as expected, since the scheduler will
> always try to fulfill a slot request using only one PE, right?

Yes.

> Having a new PE with an allocation rule 4 will make it work, but would
> probably distribute a 12 slots job on 3 nodes, right?

Yes. Having set up the above, you could send the -masterq to a 8 core node, leaving no option as getting one and only one additional node to SGE.

-- Reuti