[GE users] configuring user/machine scheduling priority

jbazik jsb at cs.brown.edu
Fri Nov 19 21:44:06 GMT 2010

Thanks again, reuti!

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 12:21:39PM +0100, reuti wrote:
> - if you have more many queues per exechost, you can put it in the exechost definition by setting a complex_values for slots or an RQS

But the exechost slots definition is a fixed value - I can't set it to
$num_proc - and $num_proc varies in my grid.  It doesn't look like I
can set the exechost slots definition by hostgroup, can I?

I have another question:  Some of my users submit many single-slot jobs.
Others want exclusive access to all slots (cores) on each machine (via
an smp pe).  I want to improve the chances that the smp requests get
scheduled by reversing the normal round-robin, load-balanced scheduling
behavior, and have queue instances fill up first - possibly leaving some
machines idle at times.

What's the best way to get that behavior?  Setting seq_no for 100s of
queue instances seems hard to manage.  Would it work to tweak the load
adjustment values?  I'm limiting slots to cores, so I'm not worried
about overloading any machines.

John