[GE users] PE configuration for 4, 8 and new 12 core nodes

rems0 Richard.Ems at cape-horn-eng.com
Mon Nov 22 11:29:28 GMT 2010

Hi reuti,

thanks for your answer! Below more questions ...

On 11/18/2010 07:46 PM, reuti wrote:
> Am 18.11.2010 um 17:55 schrieb rems0:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is on openSUSE 11.3 64 bit, with GE 6.2u5.
>> Up to now we had nodes with 4 and 8 cores.
>> We almost only run parallel jobs on 4, 8, 16 or any multiple of 4 slots.
>> We have implemented this by defining PEs with a fixed allocation number
>> of 4 or 8 slots.
>
> When you want the least amount of nodes and always fill them up, what about getting rid of all the PEs and have only one with $fill_up, and in addition submit all jobs with a complex request of an exclusive boolean complex. Whether this will work, depends on the slots you request and the number of machines you have, as now always complete nodes are necessary to make up the total slot count. This might or might not be what you want.

If I set only one PE with $fill_up, how can I control/configure to which
nodes the jobs get scheduled?

Lets say there are free nodes with 4, 8 and 12 free slots.
If we submit a job with asking for 8 slots, will it go to a node with 8?
The same with a 4 or 12 slot job, will those be scheduled to a 4/12
slots node? (always assuming there are 4/8/12 slots nodes free)

And if we submit a 16 core job, how can we setup that we prefer this one
to be scheduled first to 2x8 slots nodes, then to 2x12 slots and last to
4x4 slots?

Possible?

Or how will the scheduler "decide" without setting any preferences?

Thanks again,
Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems at Cape-Horn-Eng.com

Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5? piso
46011 Valencia
Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924