[GE users] problem with migrating to shadow master

rumpelkeks tina.friedrich at diamond.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 10:12:58 GMT 2010

Hi,

>>> AFAIK: the lock file is written by the qmaster, and removed when it's shut down in a proper fashion. But when it crashes, the file will stay there and the heartbeat file won't be updated any longer. Then the shadow master decides to take over and start a now qmaster.
>>>
>>> Do you have a file $SGE_ROOT/default/common/shadow_masters?
>>>
>>> -- Reuti
>>
>> I do have a shadow_masters file, yes.
>>
>> Failover in case one dies appears to work (i.e. if I kill the qmaster
>> process, eventually the shadow master starts it). It's the manual
>> migrate (by calling the startup script with -migrate) that's not working
>> at the moment.
>>
>> I do not appear to have any lock file 'in residence' though. I've
>> discovered (further testing) that it appears to work when migrating from
>> 'master B' to 'master A', but not 'master A' to 'master B'. With the
>> successsful migration, a file $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/spool/qmaster/lock
>> makes a brief appearance. It is, however, not there in normal operation
>> - looks to me as if the shutting down master creates it only on
>> shutdown, which puzzled me. (In case of the unsuccessful migration
>> attempt, there never is a $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/spool/qmaster/lock file.
>> Also if I manually touch one, migration works.)
>
> it looks like the lock file is written to confirm a successful shutdown then (the opposite of what I was used to), and will prevent that a shadowd will take action of an unchanged heartbeat file then, as -migrate will first shut down the actual master and then start its own.
>
> Do you want to have two qmasters, which can startup when the other is missing two-way, so you have a shadowd running on both of them?

That seems to be the theory, only in my case it doesn't seem to work
very well (and I'm trying to find out why - it might be a timing issue,
my $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/spool etc is on an NFS share).

Yes I do want (and have) two servers running a shadowd (and one running
a qmaster) so they can take over if one fails. Which from my tests is
stil working (I'll do some more testing).

However, not actually being able to cleanly migrate (well, not unless I
manually fake a lock file to appear) is annoying. It's a useful feature,
I think; I stumbled upon this problem when I wanted to migrate of the
current master to be able to take it down for maintenance. I am sure it
used to work, I tested it a lot when I set up the shadow master.

This was before I upgraded to 6.2u4 from 6.2u2 though - did the
mechanism on how a migration is handled change between u2 and u4 to
anyone's knowledge? I'm trying to find out if this is a problem within
SGE (odd timing or something), or a problem with my setup (which I don't
think changed since this was working). I can't fine a lot of information
about about the actual mechanism (i.e. who is supposed to write the lock
file, and when; stuff like that), which limits my debugging capabilities
a bit :)

Tina

> -- Reuti

Tina Friedrich, Computer Systems Administrator, Diamond Light Source Ltd
Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus - 01235 77 8442