[GE users] Dynamically changing the slots value in the queue

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Nov 24 11:45:07 GMT 2010

Am 24.11.2010 um 12:13 schrieb llikethat:

> [...]

Why is it so hard to read your replies - they are always quoted as being part of the original message. It's coming from Yahoo AFAICS - is it their feature?

> As you said the better option would be to create different queues with different slots value and submit accordingly. But before starting a job in SGE we will not know if the job is using 1 core or all the 4 cores.

Why? What is the documentation of your application saying. In the worst case some can be forced by using the mentioned variable to run in serial. If it's only using threads from time to time you are out of luck anyway. In this case it would be best to force all to run serial but run four of them at a time. In total you lose less computing time.

> How do i automate the following,
>
> For instance, if i have 2 queues (a) slot4.q (b) slot1.q
>
> if i submit a job to slot1.q and realise that the job is not utilizing all the core for computing, then what would be the better way to migrate the job to slot4.q or vice versa

No, migration between queues is not implemented.

NB: You could setup and abuse the checkpointing environemnt for this, but I don't think it would be a good solution.