[GE users] SGE now called OGE, no longer free

templedf daniel.templeton at oracle.com
Sun Oct 3 18:47:47 BST 2010

OGE's future is not cloudy at all.  Comments inline.

On 10/3/10 10:18 AM, laotsao wrote:
> my 2c and my<NECK>  out
> 1)oracle exist the HPC market (still has Solaris Studio, MP Toolkit ,
> lustre, GE SW)

Oracle has backed away from "HPC", but is still going strong in
"enterprise technical computing".  The difference?  Not much.

> 2)oracle's Grid doesnot  yet include Gridengine

Actually, OGE is now listed on the grid computing products page on
oracle.com.

> 3)oracle's elastic cloud doesnot yet include Gridengine

Oracle doesn't have an elastic cloud yet.  It's a little early to make
that judgment call.

> 4)oracle's  coherence deal with msec response time that Gridengine can
> not handle

Coherence is a data grid with some rudimentary compute capabilities.  If
that were enough, DataSynapse would have taken over the world years
ago.  Coherence is as much a threat to OGE as Glassfish is to Oracle
Database.

> 5)Gridengine's future in Oracle's Grid is very "cloudy"

No.

> 6)User may want to consider  SLURM, Torgue/maui and MOAB

For your own sake, please no.

Daniel