[GE users] SGE now called OGE, no longer free

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 21:13:18 BST 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM, sgenedharvey <sge at nedharvey.com> wrote:
> What about gridscheduler?  The open-source fork of SGE which is hosted now
> on sourceforge.
>
> As long as Oracle releases OGE source code, then gridscheduler should even
> remain feature-equivalent to future versions of OGE, and free.

If oracle releases OGE source code, then we won't need the Open Grid
Scheduler project.

The whole point of creating Open Grid Scheduler is to develop &
maintain a free implementation of Grid Engine.

>  Albeit,
> somewhat delayed after the source code release.  That is, *if* oracle
> decides to make OGE open source.

Right. We waited for 9 months and Oracle did not put back any changes
to the open source project on sunsource. So instead of waiting for a
real answer, which might never happen, we decided to fork SGE 2 months
ago so that we can address the 4GB memory accounting bug & the
preemption bug in SGE 6.2u5.

Rayson