[GE users] SGE now called OGE, no longer free

sgenedharvey sge at nedharvey.com
Sun Oct 3 23:36:23 BST 2010

This really gets back to what I said earlier:

> Who are the largest consumers of free SGE?  Amazon?  Whoever uses the
> most free SGE, they're the most likely to hire developers and continue
> development on this open source branch.

Whoever "they" are, they'll evaluate the cost of hiring development, versus
the cost of paying Oracle, versus the cost of switching to something
completely different.  But no matter what, the first thing they'll do is to
wait around and see if Oracle releases OGE sources.

If there is no major player willing to devote resources to gridscheduler,
and if OGE remains closed source, then despite the valiant efforts of
community contributors, progress won't keep pace with OGE.  Also, if Oracle
wishes to patent some new development, and keep it closed-source, just to
prevent that thing from being available in the community...  Unfortunately,
they can.