[GE users] SGE now called OGE, no longer free

crhea crhea at mayo.edu
Mon Oct 4 20:07:48 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 01:23:37PM -0500, dmr wrote:

> And that's all I'll say about that, because I really don't feel like
> this is the right list for this discussion. Daniel and the rest of the
> Oracle people do a fantastic job, and I think that using the list set
> up for the purpose of discussing SGE to discuss taking their work and
> forking it somewhere else isn't giving them the respect from the
> community that they have earned. I would encourage people to move this
> discussion to a new gridengine-followup list somewhere.
>
> David

This is just my $0.02, so it shares the same grain of salt...

I think your comments above are missing the point. People are taking the
code elsewhere and setting up repositories primarily as an "insurance
policy".

If Oracle would publish an open source road map stating their position
on projects such as SGE and OpenOffice, there would be a whole lot less
FUD.

I don't believe anybody wants to fork these projects *if it isn't
needed*.  I fully agree with your comments about the quality work
Daniel and the rest of the Sun-now-Oracle developers have done, BUT
one of the best ways to make Oracle aware of the situation is to have
these "contingency" discussions on a list where we know they are
listening (at least passively).

I can only hope that the Oracle developers can take these discussions
and use them to convince their management of the merits of open source
backed by a strong user community.

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea
 Mayo Clinic - Research Computing Facility