[GE users] SGE now called OGE, no longer free

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 20:36:36 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 3:07 PM, crhea <crhea at mayo.edu> wrote:
> I think your comments above are missing the point. People are taking the
> code elsewhere and setting up repositories primarily as an "insurance
> policy".

Thanks for clarifying for us!!

In fact, 2 months ago I really needed a place to check in the 4GB
memory accounting bug fix, that's why Ron believed it is better to
have a real project on SF. We don't know if sunsource would still
exist in years down the road - and in fact, Oracle can shut it down
tomorrow if it wants to.

We don't want to lose users who are encountering those bugs.

> I don't believe anybody wants to fork these projects *if it isn't needed*.

Yup, I have enough to do in my day job. Even if the current 3 Open
Grid Scheduler contributors quit their jobs and work on OGS full-time,
they are still not able to outdo Oracle, which is way larger.

We spend time answering questions on this list for the past few years,
and sometimes submit a patch or 2 to SGE (like my zLinux port).

>  I fully agree with your comments about the quality work
> Daniel and the rest of the Sun-now-Oracle developers have done, BUT
> one of the best ways to make Oracle aware of the situation is to have
> these "contingency" discussions on a list where we know they are
> listening (at least passively).

Yup, as we stated over and over again, we are not interested in:

- outdoing Oracle
- forking, we are *continuing* the open source Grid Engine development
- introduce new features too quickly (we always want a stable release)

Officially, we are still waiting for Oracle to tell us what it will do
to the SGE project.

Rayson