[GE dev] Core binding suggestion...

jewellc chris.jewell at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 08:19:23 BST 2010

Hi All,

I wonder if the following suggestion might yield some interest?  On my small departmental cluster, it would be really useful to be able to set a default core affinity behaviour in a parallel environment.  What I envisage would be this:

1) Standard 'qsub' serial submission: core binding set to -binding set linear:1

2) For an SMP parallel session, core binding set to -binding set linear:$NSLOTS

3) For MPI parallel session, core binding set to -binding set linear:1 for each MPI process.

Is this possible to achieve currently, without resorting to wrapper scripts round qsub and qlogin etc?  If not, might it be a future feature?

Thanks,

Chris