[GE users] Fw: maui-sge integration

aryana_178 aryana_178 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 06:19:32 BST 2010

There are some special features in Maui. For instance, the administrator can choose different node allocation policies which may affect the overall performance. However in SGE, the only node allocation policy is the default one in which the node with minimum load is selected.
Another feature that i can mention is priority schemes. In Maui, there is a capability called fairshare which allows historical resource utilization information to be incorporated into job feasibility and priority decisions. Maui's fairshare implementation allows site administrators to set system utilization targets for users, groups, accounts, classes, and QOS levels.
And the last one! Backfilling is the heart of the overwhelming majority of schedulers which has 2 different types. The one which is implemented in  most schedulers is EASY. However, as far as i concerned, the starvation phenomena is its drawback. In  Maui, there is a parameter by which you can specify the number of times job is bypassed
 by backfilling. The result will be preventing backfill based starvation.
There are some other great advantages that you can take of  Maui. But this is not the right topic to talk about them.
I hope you can persuade me of SGE's advantages that prevent me from finding a way to integrate Maui and SGE.