[GE users] Default CPU core binding

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Oct 12 22:39:04 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 12.10.2010 um 23:09 schrieb icaci:

>> <snip>
>> 9926 ms04      39  19  3756  292  228 R   25  0.0   0:19.31 ever
>> 9927 ms04      39  19  3756  292  228 R   25  0.0   0:19.31 ever
>> 9925 ms04      39  19  3756  288  228 R   25  0.0   0:19.30 ever
>> 9928 ms04      39  19  3756  292  228 R   25  0.0   0:19.30 ever
>>
>> for 4 forks of an endless loop in one and the same jobscript when submitted with `qsub -binding linear:1 demo.sh`. Well, the funny thing is that with this kernel version I still get a load of 4, despite the fact that all 4 forks are bound to one core. Should it really be four?
>>

> Load measures the average number of entities in the kernel's running tasks queue. It is mostly but not always equal to the average CPU load in %'s. E.g. if you have 12 processes waiting on uninterruptible NFS I/O in "D" state (as shown by ps), you will get load value of about 12.0 and CPU usage of about 0%.
>
> So yes, it should be four, at least on Linux.

yes, correct. But about this I tried to start a discussion already some time ago:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=278735

How to use the load as threshold in such a situation any longer? Besides the native implementation being the length of the run queue, in my opinion there is something missing and a need to have something new, either "load by SGE jobs" (on SGE level) or "load per core" (on a Linux level). For now you can't tell much about the situation of a machine when you look only at the load.

-- Reuti