[GE users] resource quota: slots for specific users

ashworth julie.ashworth at berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 12 23:14:43 BST 2010

hi,
I'm having trouble configuring RQS for specific users to
the slot resource. I hope that somebody can help.

I'm using sge6.2 on linux (CentOS5.5).
I can configure the slot resource for all users (*), or for
a single user to a different resource (e.g. virtual_free).
The following works as expected:
# qconf -srqs max_slots
{
   name         max_slots
   description  limit total jobs allowed on each hosts
   enabled      TRUE
   limit        users * to slots=8
   limit        users julie to virtual_free=2g
}

$ qquota
resource quota rule limit                filter
max_slots/1        slots=3/4            users *
max_slots/2        virtual_free=2g      users julie

However, specifying a single user doesn't work. The
qconf command completes without error, but qquota
produces nothing:
# qconf -srqs max_slots
{
   name         max_slots
   description  limit total jobs allowed on each hosts
   enabled      TRUE
   limit        users julie to slots=8
}

In order to troubleshoot this, I did a fresh installation
of GE6.2u5.
Oddly, with GE6.2u5, the slots resource doesn't work at all
(i.e. the same RQS configuration above fails for slots, but
works for virtual_free).

So many questions...
Can anybody see something obviously wrong with my config?
Is there a way to troubleshoot why these rules are failing?

Is there a reason why 'virtual_free' resource works, but
'slots' doesn't?
The only thing I can imagine is that virtual_free is not a
consumable whereas slots is:

qconf -mc
#name   shortcut type    relop requestable consumable default  urgency
slots   s        INT     <=    YES         YES        1        1000
virtual_free vf  MEMORY  <=    YES         NO         0        0

I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thank you!
Best,
Julie