[GE dev] Open source 6.2u6 ???

mdondrup michael.dondrup at uni.no
Tue Oct 19 15:03:00 BST 2010

Hi,
not really an answer here but I just found this discussion on the fate OpenSolaris [1].  Don't really know if that
gives a clue for GE.
 My favorite argument form that thread, replace Solaris with (O) GE:

"The current model almost certainly guaranties that Solaris
will be abandoned by the Academic community. Once again, I bring up
OS/400, AIX, and HP-UX. Without an introduction to "serious" OSes -
which the academic community by far is the leading provider of - you
lose the next generation of sysadmins, app developers, and tech
managers. If they don't know your product, how are they going to use it
(or be inclined to purchase them?)."

For OSes I would just say, switch to  FreeBSD or Linux, why use something that is technically inferior anyway?
For S/OGE I am already looking at alternatives again, it's just a bit harder to find.

Best
Michael

[1] :http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=133043&tstart=0