[GE users] resource quota: slots for specific users

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Oct 19 18:34:21 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 13.10.2010 um 00:14 schrieb ashworth:

> hi,
> I'm having trouble configuring RQS for specific users to
> the slot resource. I hope that somebody can help.
>
> I'm using sge6.2 on linux (CentOS5.5).
> I can configure the slot resource for all users (*), or for
> a single user to a different resource (e.g. virtual_free).
> The following works as expected:
> # qconf -srqs max_slots
> {
>   name         max_slots
>   description  limit total jobs allowed on each hosts
>   enabled      TRUE
>   limit        users * to slots=8
>   limit        users julie to virtual_free=2g
> }

I suggest to put different types of rules in different RQS, because the first matching limit in each rule will either allow or prohibit the execution - lines below this one won't be checked or honored at all.

("users *" means all users together should never have more than 8 slots used, often it's per user which needs to be written as "users {*}".)

> $ qquota
> resource quota rule limit                filter
> max_slots/1        slots=3/4            users *
> max_slots/2        virtual_free=2g      users julie

What was running in the cluster at this point? To see all quotas `qquota -u "*"` might show more.

> However, specifying a single user doesn't work. The
> qconf command completes without error, but qquota
> produces nothing:
> # qconf -srqs max_slots
> {
>   name         max_slots
>   description  limit total jobs allowed on each hosts
>   enabled      TRUE
>   limit        users julie to slots=8
> }

Was something running in your cluster at that time? Only quotas "in use" will be listed.

-- Reuti