[GE dev] Open source 6.2u6 ???

sgenedharvey sge at nedharvey.com
Wed Oct 20 03:55:08 BST 2010

> From: mdondrup [mailto:michael.dondrup at uni.no]
>
> "The current model almost certainly guaranties that Solaris
> will be abandoned by the Academic community. Once again, I bring up

I remember reading that.  And probably replying to it myself.  ;-)

The main requirement of the academic community is "free."  So technically,
if they are using openindiana instead...  I suppose you could say they have
abandoned solaris.  ;-)  Although it's just a name change.

Also, solaris proper is indeed free for academic purposes.  So I have every
reason to believe solaris 11 and sol11express will also be free for academic
purposes.

So I couldn't disagree more with the quoted statement.