[GE users] h_vmem as consumable and requesting too little memory

seb stark at tuebingen.mpg.de
Tue Oct 26 13:42:26 BST 2010

We use h_vmem as a consumable with a 1G default. We set the upper h_vmem limit per host. Usually this makes sge behave like we want. However, there is a problem with a job like the following:

  echo : | qsub -l h_vmem=1 -r y

What this job does is:

  1) get scheduled quickly because of low memory request

  2) set h_vmem limit to 1 byte (or is it 1k?)

  3) produce error message "can't set additional group id (uid=0, euid=0): Cannot allocate memory" (I think because it cannot even start sge_shepherd)

  4) make queue go into error state

  5) get rescheduled

Very quickly all queues go into error state.

Any idea how to prevent this from happening? We use sge 6.2 beta2 and are willing to upgrade if this solves our problem, although I couldn't find anything related to this in the changelog.

Is it possible to require the user to request a _minimum_ of a resource?

Sebastian

--
http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/~stark
Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics