[GE users] occasional job failure - can't find user's home directory

jlforrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 27 18:01:32 BST 2010

On 10/27/2010 9:51 AM, cjf001 wrote:

> So, a couple of questions for the group :
>
> 1) anyone else ever see this ?  If so, ever track it down ?

I have a cluster running Rocks 5.2 (== CentOS 5.3).
I was having a problem similar to yours, except it
wouldn't kick in until a job had been running
for many hours. In this case, the job had been
writing to a local disk, and then attempted
to write to an automounter managed home directory.

I sent a description of the exact error message
to the automounter mailing list. They said that
several bugs had been fixed since the version
of automounter in CentOS 5.3. Rather than trying
to install the latest version, I just turned off
the automounter and all my problems went away.

In a typical Beowulf cluster I don't think it's necessary
to run an automounter in order for the compute nodes
to mount filesystems from the cluster file server.
Can you try turning it off? If you're running Rocks,
I posted a message to the Rocks mail list about how
to do this.

Cordially,

-- Jon Forrest

Research Computing Support