[GE users] occasional job failure - can't find user's home directory

jlforrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 27 18:31:21 BST 2010

On 10/27/2010 10:19 AM, John Foley wrote:
> Jon -
>
> thanks for the reply - that's very interesting info. One
> question, though - when you say you "turned off" the
> automounter, I'm assuming that you also had to hard-mount
> the user's home directory areas, and any other NFS
> areas that the simulations require ?

That's right. If the private network in a Beowulf
cluster has the kind of problems that the automounter
solves, then you have a sick cluster.

I believe that for a standard Beowulf cluster an automounter
isn't necessary on the compute nodes. In environments
where compute nodes mount from "non-standard" file servers
or have other unusual features this might not be true.
But, in my Rocks cluster, I've had absolutely no problems
due to turning off the automounter.

Jon