[GE users] Jobs automatically niced

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Oct 28 17:16:35 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 28.10.2010 um 18:02 schrieb jewellc:

> I feel I should know this one, but does GE automatically re-nice jobs on execution nodes?  Today I noticed that when I submitted a job to an execution node, the nice value of another user's job already running there was increased from 0 to 19, with my job kept at 0.  If I circumvent the queue system by ssh-ing into the exec node manually, this does not occur.  Is this normal behaviour, and can I turn it off?

there are two possibilities, where this can be initiated by SGE:

- the setting of priority on a queue level, to give a queue a fixed nice value (this doesn't match your case though)

- repriorization according to a functional policy

The latter can be turned of by setting:

$ qconf -sconf
reprioritize                 false

and

$ qconf -ssconf
reprioritize_interval             0:0:0

NB: As long as there are less active processes than cores, the nice value won't have any effect anyway (all should get 100% in `top`).

-- Reuti