No subject

Wed Jan 12 20:38:46 GMT 2011

hyperthreading is enabled, as I recall.

Hyperthreading in the original incarnation was reckoned not to be very good
for HPC type workloads.
The 30% figure you have is very interesting - is that a general comment on
(say) web serving workloads, or it is for your particular application? Would
be interesting to find out where that came from.

However, hyperthreading will become very interesting again with the upcoming
Intel Nehalem processors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Nehalem
The received wisdom is that hyperthreading as implemented on Nehalem will
bring benefits to HPC - I think we're all waiting in anticipation for the
first results. Maybe Santa is already packing some for delivery on the 25th.
Who knows.