[GE users] question regarding "Changes for a Bright Future at Oracle"

cjf001 john.foley at motorola.com
Sat Jan 1 17:18:09 GMT 2011

Ron, Daniel, Rayson -

Happy New Year everyone ! I hope that this year brings health
and happiness to all those using Grid Engine ! :)

So, I'm trying to get my head around where we're at right now,
in preparation for a "Cluster Support" meeting on Tuesday. It
appears that Oracle will be sponsoring the "Open Grid
Scheduler project", but I'm trying to figure out exactly
what that means (I realize that perhaps no one actually
knows yet, but I'll ask anyway....).

So, here's my basic question (I apologize in advance if this
was answered in the flurry of emails the past few weeks, but
I don't think it was) -

What subset of changes that were made between 6.2u5 and
6.2u6 will be made available to the OGS project by Oracle ?
Now that 6.2.u7 has been announced, I guess the same question
could be asked about that release, too.

In other words, will the user community have to "reverse-engineer"
all the changes made by Oracle to get them included into the OGS
project, or will Oracle be supplying the code for them ?

I could go on and on with questions / comments about building,
mailing lists, other "competing" projects, bugs, features, docs,
etc..... (!) -- but I won't, because I think the answer to
this (rather simple) question will help many of us decide
what our future with Grid Engine will be.

If you cannot answer this question now, can you tell us if you
will be able to answer this question on the Roadmap webcast on
Jan 13th ?

    Thanks !

      John

ron wrote:
> Thanks Daniel. A few changes with the Open Grid Scheduler project:
>
> - as mentioned by Rayson, he is assigned as the project owner.
>
> - the "developers"&  "users" lists were created on sourceforge.
>
> I will be busy for the next month or two, so Rayson will be in charge of creating the OGS 6.2u5 patch 1 release.
>
>   -Ron
>
> P.S. Sorry for being quiet for the past few months, and happy new year!!!
>

> --- On Fri, 12/24/10, templedf<daniel.templeton at oracle.com>  wrote:
>> o The Open Grid Scheduler project
>> [http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/] will be
>> continuing on
>> the tradition of the Grid Engine open source project.
>> While the Open
>> Grid Scheduler project will remain independent of the
>> Oracle Grid Engine
>> product, the project will have the support of the Oracle
>> team, including
>> making available artifacts from the original Grid Engine
>> open source
>> project.
>>
>> Oracle is committed to enhancing Oracle Grid Engine as a
>> commercial
>> product and has an exciting road map planned.  In
>> addition to developing
>> new features and functionality to continue to improve the
>> customer
>> experience, we also plan to release game-changing
>> integrations with
>> several other Oracle products, including Oracle Enterprise
>> Manager and
>> Oracle Coherence.  Also, as Oracle's cloud strategy
>> unfolds, we expect
>> that the Oracle Grid Engine product's role in the overall
>> strategy will
>> continue to grow.  To discuss our general plans for
>> the product, we
>> would like to invite you to join us for a live webcast on
>> Oracle Grid
>> Engine?s new road map. Go here to register:
>> [http://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/24655]
>>
>> Next Steps:
>>
>> o Visit Oracle Technology Network Oracle Grid Engine center
>>
>> [http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/grid-engine-166852.html?ssSourceSiteId=ocomen]
>>
>> to post questions or regarding open source related issues
>>
>> o Contact Oracle if you wish to learn more about Oracle
>> Grid Engine
>> http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contact/global-070511.html
>>
>> o Join us for a live webcast on Oracle Grid Engine?s
>> roadmap
>> [http://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/24655]
>>
>> Thank you to everyone in the community for their support
>> over the last
>> decade and their continued support going forward!
>>
>> Daniel

# John Foley                          # Location:  IL93-E1-21S            #
# IT & Systems Administration         # Maildrop:  IL93-E1-35O            #
# LV Simulation Cluster Support       #    Email: john.foley at motorola.com #
# Motorola, Inc. -  Mobile Devices    #    Phone: (847) 523-8719          #
# 600 North US Highway 45             #      Fax: (847) 523-5767          #
# Libertyville, IL. 60048  (USA)      #     Cell: (847) 460-8719          #