[GE users] question regarding "Changes for a Bright Future at Oracle"

templedf daniel.templeton at oracle.com
Sun Jan 2 00:53:15 GMT 2011

John,

The Open Grid Scheduler project (and Son of Grid Engine project) is a
separately owned and maintained source base from the Oracle Grid Engine
product.  We will support them as much as we can, but Oracle has fairly
strict boundaries on interactions with third parties, such as open
source projects.  The top of the list of things that we cannot do is
donate or borrow any source code.  Enhancements made in u6 and u7 were
made to the Grid Engine product and hence cannot be donated to any open
source project.  Similarly, none of the work that the supporters of the
open source projects are doing can be incorporated into the Grid Engine
product.  What we can do is share things that aren't source code, such
as all of the project artifacts we have received from CollabNet.  We can
also collaborate with the open source projects to make sure that
transitioning between them and the product is an painless as possible.
Where laws permit (e.g. in California), individuals are also allowed to
participate in the open source projects on their own time.

Daniel