[GE users] question regarding "Changes for a Bright Future at Oracle"

cjf001 john.foley at motorola.com
Mon Jan 3 01:32:28 GMT 2011

OK, thanks Daniel for the good information. I take this
to mean that you Oracle guys will still be answering questions
on the mailing list / forum like "how do I do A ?" and "what's
the best way to accomplish B?" and "why do I see C?" - but
not "can you change X?" or "can you give me a patch for this
bug ?".

<soapbox> This is certainly an opportunity for the open source
community to take the reins of the Grid Engine product and
direct it to their needs, but I frankly don't see how they
(we ?) could be anywhere near as successful as you guys
have been. It seems to me to be a pretty big risk to
stick with the open source version(s), given the complexity
of the system, the (from what I've seen, anyway) lack of developer
documentation, and the "part-time" nature of the open source
community. But, it's early, and I don't have to make a decision
*right now*, so I guess it's worth waiting and watching a
bit to see what happens - maybe in the meantime I can look
into what support options Oracle or others offer. </soapbox>

     John

Daniel Templeton wrote:
> John,
>
> The Open Grid Scheduler project (and Son of Grid Engine project) is a
> separately owned and maintained source base from the Oracle Grid Engine
> product. We will support them as much as we can, but Oracle has fairly
> strict boundaries on interactions with third parties, such as open
> source projects. The top of the list of things that we cannot do is
> donate or borrow any source code. Enhancements made in u6 and u7 were
> made to the Grid Engine product and hence cannot be donated to any open
> source project. Similarly, none of the work that the supporters of the
> open source projects are doing can be incorporated into the Grid Engine
> product. What we can do is share things that aren't source code, such as
> all of the project artifacts we have received from CollabNet. We can
> also collaborate with the open source projects to make sure that
> transitioning between them and the product is an painless as possible.
> Where laws permit (e.g. in California), individuals are also allowed to
> participate in the open source projects on their own time.
>
> Daniel
>
> On 1/1/11 9:18 AM, cjf001 wrote:
>> Ron, Daniel, Rayson -
>>
>> Happy New Year everyone ! I hope that this year brings health
>> and happiness to all those using Grid Engine ! :)
>>
>> So, I'm trying to get my head around where we're at right now,
>> in preparation for a "Cluster Support" meeting on Tuesday. It
>> appears that Oracle will be sponsoring the "Open Grid
>> Scheduler project", but I'm trying to figure out exactly
>> what that means (I realize that perhaps no one actually
>> knows yet, but I'll ask anyway....).
>>
>> So, here's my basic question (I apologize in advance if this
>> was answered in the flurry of emails the past few weeks, but
>> I don't think it was) -
>>
>> What subset of changes that were made between 6.2u5 and
>> 6.2u6 will be made available to the OGS project by Oracle ?
>> Now that 6.2.u7 has been announced, I guess the same question
>> could be asked about that release, too.
>>
>> In other words, will the user community have to "reverse-engineer"
>> all the changes made by Oracle to get them included into the OGS
>> project, or will Oracle be supplying the code for them ?
>>
>> I could go on and on with questions / comments about building,
>> mailing lists, other "competing" projects, bugs, features, docs,
>> etc..... (!) -- but I won't, because I think the answer to
>> this (rather simple) question will help many of us decide
>> what our future with Grid Engine will be.
>>
>> If you cannot answer this question now, can you tell us if you
>> will be able to answer this question on the Roadmap webcast on
>> Jan 13th ?
>>
>> Thanks !
>>
>> John
>>

>> ron wrote:
>>> Thanks Daniel. A few changes with the Open Grid Scheduler project:
>>>
>>> - as mentioned by Rayson, he is assigned as the project owner.

> [...]

# John Foley                          # Location:  IL93-E1-21S            #
# IT & Systems Administration         # Maildrop:  IL93-E1-35O            #
# LV Simulation Cluster Support       #    Email: john.foley at motorola.com #
# Motorola, Inc. -  Mobile Devices    #    Phone: (847) 523-8719          #
# 600 North US Highway 45             #      Fax: (847) 523-5767          #
# Libertyville, IL. 60048  (USA)      #     Cell: (847) 460-8719          #