[SGE-discuss] virtual_free consumable resource

Julie Ashworth julie.ashworth at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 4 05:22:05 GMT 2011

hi folks,
Thanks for continuing support for gridengine - I really
appreciate it. I'm a fairly novice user of ge, but have
followed the mailing list.

I want to create a consumable resource for virtual_free,
but I receive the error:
attribute "virtual_free" is not a memory value

The global virtual_free config was made consumable:
# qconf -sc | egrep "#name|virtual_free"
#name               shortcut   type        relop requestable consumable default  urgency
virtual_free        vf         MEMORY      <=    YES         YES        0        0

and I ran a for loop for the exec hosts (named nx1,nx2...nx8):
qconf -mattr exechost complex_values mem_free=92G nx$i
qconf -mattr exechost complex_values virtual_free=92G nx$i

# qhost -F -h nx5
HOSTNAME                ARCH         NCPU  LOAD  MEMTOT  MEMUSE  SWAPTO  SWAPUS
global                  -               -     -       -       -       -       -
nx5                     lx24-amd64     16  0.00   94.4G  245.5M     0.0     0.0
   hl:arch=lx24-amd64
   hl:num_proc=16.000000
   hl:mem_total=94.408G
   hl:swap_total=0.000
   hl:virtual_total=94.408G
   hl:load_avg=0.000000
   hl:load_short=0.000000
   hl:load_medium=0.000000
   hl:load_long=0.000000
   hf:mem_free=92.000G
   hl:swap_free=0.000
   hc:virtual_free=92.000G
   hl:mem_used=245.527M
   hl:swap_used=0.000
   hl:virtual_used=245.527M
   hl:cpu=0.000000
   hl:np_load_avg=0.000000
   hl:np_load_short=0.000000
   hl:np_load_medium=0.000000
   hl:np_load_long=0.000000

When I submit a job, I receive an error:

$ qsub -l virtual_free=5GB /usr/local/sge-6.2/examples/jobs/simple.sh
Unable to run job: attribute "virtual_free" is not a memory value.
Exiting.

Same error occurs with '-l mem_free'.

I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks!