[SGE-discuss] mail archive (was: virtual_free consumable resource)

Jesse Becker beckerjes at mail.nih.gov
Tue Jan 4 17:49:23 GMT 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 12:37:58PM -0500, Dave Love wrote:
>Jesse Becker <beckerjes at mail.nih.gov> writes:
>
>> I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for complete archives.  I
>> managed to extract mbox files from about 17 Feb 2010 to 29 Dec 2010, but
>> that's far from complete (about 6,200 messages--let me know if you want
>> a copy)
>
>Thanks.  I assume that's -users.  If you have articles from the -dev
>list, that would probably be useful.  There is at least some interesting

I extracted this from Gmane, as they provide a decent interface for
doing this.  It's a full dump too--headers and all.

It's just -users though, since that's all Gmane has.  In order, I'd like
to get the full -users archive, followed by -dev.  The rest I don't care
much about.

>stuff there.  The dump of -users from Gmane goes back to 2006, and
>should be complete modulo any no-archive headers, so probably only older
>articles are interesting.  I suspect older messages are of relatively
>little use, but still worth preserving.  If Reuti archives his replies,
>that's a substantial fraction of the traffic!

Agreed.

>> markmail.org has the most complete archive I've found, with all of the
>> lists: gridengine-users (36.6k messages), -checkins, -development (4.5k
>> messages), -bugs, -general and -announcements.
>
>Right.
>
>> The good news is the searching abilites are decent.  The bad news is
>> that there's no easy way to full email information (headers, etc, or
>> enough to construct an mbox file).
>
>The interface is less than pleasant, I think.  I don't know what will
>happen to those archives when the lists die -- I don't know if they
>already have done -- so it's worth having other sources.

There's a few post about "transferring" the various
gridengnie.sunsource.net stuff to OGS, but I've yet to see any progress
on this.

>I'll give archives a while to appear at Oracle and ask for them if they
>don't.  In the meantime, I'll check what will happen to the Gmane -users
>archive and try to produce a useful searchable archive of that if
>necessary.

You can have my copy (bz2 file is ~9MB).  It's in two mbox files.
Alternately, it's pretty simple to extract it again from Gmane (although
you will probably have to do it in at least 2 passes due to process
time-limits on the server).

--
Jesse Becker
NHGRI Linux support (Digicon Contractor)